So you have decided to try speed dating and are wondering what you should talk about! Personally I don’t think people should put too much pressure on themselves as it is a fact that we form a lot of our opinion about a person before they even talk. However, speed dating should be a fun experience so my number one recommendation is to stay away from boring topics and personal details.
I have put together some ideas of questions you could, as well as examples of subjects you should stay away from.
- What do you like to do on the weekends and in your spare time?
- What do you love to do – your interests/hobbies?
- What made you decide to come tonight (although everyone asks this and people usually say a friend talked them into it. No-one readily admits they came by choice)!
- Who is your favourite super hero and why?
- If you made a movie of your life who would you get to act your part?
- Would your life story be a drama or a comedy (but don’t use this question as an opportunity to talk about all your dramas)!
- What is your favourite movie/tv show?
- Favourite guilty pleasure – ie food, music tv show, movie?
- Savoury or sweet?
- Dog or cat person?
- What is the best thing you have watched on Netflix?
- Shark diving, bungee jumping or sky diving?
To Find Out More
- If money wasn’t an object what would you do?
- If you could travel anywhere, where would you go?
- What would your dream job be?
- Early bird or night owl?
- Indoor or outdoor person?
- Camping or luxury?
- What was the last book you read?
- What song is playing on your iPod just now?
- What website would you waste time on?
- Would you prefer to live in the city or the country?
- If you could have anyone to dinner living or dead, who would you invite?
Questions To Avoid
- What do you do for a living?
- Questions about past relationships.
- Anything too personal.
- Don’t talk about your worst points or baggage let someone like you first.
- A person’s address (okay to ask generally what suburb someone lives in).
Remember you will be talking to 10 -25 people and if you are asked the same questions by everyone it gets boring. Be interesting and make it fun. Basically the list of potential questions could be endless but the point to speed dating is to have fun and not to come with pre-prepared questions No-one wants to feel like they are at a job interview.
Really the list is endless and you can get down to any details when you go on your first date.